True Stories....

My Life, On & Offline

Friday, January 13, 2006

Batting Near 6000


On The Radio
Originally uploaded by EdnPHX.
Wow, look at that hit counter go…and go….and go! Who would of though that many people would be viewing my blog. Well, it’s not like Amazon.com or anything, but yet, it makes me feel good. Thanks for all the comments over the months. I think over the next couple months, I’ll dabble into the podcasting…just need to find some time to do it. I got a lot to say, and actually did a radio show back in college. Gosh, that sure was fun, doing a radio show on 1030AM at Kent State University. I used to have a ton of people call in which was nice considering it was a closed circuit radio station on campus. I’d get some crazy calls, and play some even crazier music. (Sigh, the memories.).

Speaking of radio shows….you ever listen to the Delilah Radio Show? I know she’s syndicated in almost every city in the country. Now, let me just say, that is just one corny radio show. She get’s a little preachy now and then, but I crack myself up everytime I listen to her. (which means I usually listen to her when I’m flipping through the stations…I’m not a fan…but sometimes I need a good laugh.) Anyway, the people that call into that show are total Jerry Springer types. Which is sad because for the 1 or 2 people that are actually serious “love” calls, they end up being grouped into the trailer trash types. (No offense to anyone living in a trailer…but you know who I am talking about.) So here’s a sample of her show and my comments (or should I say “thoughts” of what is going through my mind.):

Delilah: “Hello caller, who’s this?” (Like she cares)
Caller: “Um yea this is Shirley.” (Like that is her real name.)
Delilah: “Hi Shirley, what a wonderful name…” (What? Oh she soo lying! As she takes a drag of her 20th cigarette and swigs a bottle of whiskey.)
Caller: “ Well, um I have this guy I’ve fallen in luv with, and he’s been called to active duty in Iraq, and sometimes it’s so hard to be without him.” (Which essentaially means she’s got extra room in the trailer and she’s been getting nailed by his cousin Bobby Joe or something.)
Delilah: “Wow, that’s so hard. When is he coming back?” (She let’s out a huge yawn)
Caller: “I just don’t have any idear.” (She could care less, she’s getting some from Bobby Joe.)
Delilah: “So what can I play for you?” (Pours another cup of whiskey, scratches her ass.)
Caller: “Hows about All By Myself by Celine Dion?” (As she breaks out her own bottle of whiskey)
Delilah: “Anything for your Shirley, and God bless.” (She does a line of coke, and takes another swig of whiskey.)

Of course, you NEVER hear a love request from a gay guy or lesbian. Although I have this strange feeling that when “Pat” dedicates a song to “Chris”, they are both actually women. I’d love to call in as Chaniqua and make a love song request for something by Luther Vandross, and dedicate it to my sweet sistah Keisha from East Cleveland. (Ooooo child, I knows dat be a goo one.) I wonder what would happen if her show was all of a sudden inundated with gay love requests, how she would handle it. You have to admit, it would be pretty funny hearing her reactions. She’d probably all damn us to hell or something…she sounds like a bible beater to me.

Delilah: “Hello caller, who is this?”
Caller: “Hey girlfriend, this is SSsssteve!”
Delilah: (pause) “Um hello Steve, what’s on your mind tonight?”
Caller: “(Sigh), It’s Ronald…he’s SUCH a bitch!”
Delilah: “Oh really? Now, now, we’re on the air..be nice.”
Caller: “Augh, I know…but he sooo is. He’s been deployed to Ibiza.”
Delilah: “In the Middle East? I didn’t know we had troops there!”
Caller: “Augh no ssssilly! He’s been deployed with a circuit party promoter to be a go-go- boy!”
Delilah: (pause) “A go-go boy?”
Caller: “Well, duh, he’s hot AND hung! Anyway, can you play ANYTHING by Erasure? They are so fab!”
Delilah: “Don’t know if I have anything by Erasure.”
Caller: “Pet Shop Boys?”
Delilah: “Nope…don’t think I have that either. How about Melissa Etheridge?”
Caller: “Augh do I even SOUND like a lesbian?”
Delilah: “No, but…”
Caller: “Whatever!” (click)


This is what goes through my head when I listen to that damn show. Gay, ghetto, gay and ghetto, white trash….all the stereotypes.….it goes through my mind. Makes the show so much more fun to listen too. Anyway, if you happen to listen to the show…think of me.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Is it me or does anyone else find Delilah horribly frigid. She never sounds like she cares and appears abhorently bored!

     
  • At 4:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Delilah always sounds bored with everyone cuz she likes talking about herself and her own problems, especially her "past addiction"... she just needs to go away!

     
  • At 7:49 PM , Blogger Mimi said...

    Maybe you should call Delilah and tell her about the pains of a long-distance relationship, maybe she'll play Dion's "That's what friends are for." Delilah makes me gag, but it's like a car crash, you have to listen, she is sending evil self-loathing vibes across the airwaves. ARGHHHHH!

     
  • At 9:04 PM , Blogger VeryApeAZ said...

    As a former member of the armed forces, I always hated hearing those dedication things. When you're deployed you can't hear the damned show. The girls back here who call in only want sympathy from strangers -- cuz all of their friends know they're just fat nasty bitches (we used to call them commissary queens).

     
  • At 8:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey,
    That was absolutely hilarious! I've listened to the show before so I know what you're talking about and it's so true.
    I've been dabbling in podcasting myself. My blog is about Indie music and I was thinking of putting a podcast on there. If you're interested I would love to post your podcast on my blog once you're finished...seeing as you were a radio star you must have lots of talent ;)
    Anyway it was nice meeting you, come by my blog and leave a message if you have a chance :)
    Take care, mel

     
  • At 9:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ed, I have not heard of Delilah.. maybe because I am in London has got everything to do with it :)
    But I would love to hear you though.. so you used to be a DJ? Magnificent.. get that podcast running ED!

    Wow, I read about Tim and melted. It sounds absolutely like something I would do. Maybe us hopeless romantics are not hopeless afterall.. Tim has just demonstrated that there are some people out there there who could match you and more. It's wonderful when two romantics meet each other! :)

    Ryan is a trainee Airforce pilot. So no, he has no access to any 767! At least you have your vouchers Ed!! ;) I would have to resort to buy my plane tickets.. I might actually do an Ed and try to get some vouchers next time I fly. what a fab idea!!

    Hugs
    Elle x

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home