True Stories....

My Life, On & Offline

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Lost Signs


Broasted Chicken....and BEER.
Originally uploaded by EdnPHX.
Mmmm…. Broasted chicken. Actually, I don’t think I’ve had broasted chicken. I assume it’s between broiled and roasted. Either case, this sign caught my eye on a trip that Tim and I took today. We explored the Superstition Mountains, Canyon Lake, and the hokey little Goldmine (tourist trap) Town on the way. There were beautiful views of the mountains on our trip, as well as the plethora of tourists at Tortilla Flat and that hokey tourist trap town.

Tim likes to take pictures…lots of pictures. In fact, if I didn’t know any better I would guess his mother’s maiden name is Kodak, Canon, or even Fuji. The guy LOVES to take pictures. We’ll be driving along and he’ll be snapping away pictures at 75mph through the tinted windows of my TL. I’m always amazed at the fact that the pictures do actually come out. Finally I told Tim that “Maybe the pictures would come out better if you took them not through the window and with the car going near 80mph.” Tim looked at me and agreed. So now the window is rolled down and I’m asked to stop when ever there’s something worth taking pictures of. Needless to say my brakes are getting a workout. I don’t mind though. He’s totally enjoying it and he’s pointing out things that I never even noticed here in Arizona. The only problem is my camera is a total piece of shit.

My camera, a Sony Cybershot, is a good camera, actually. It’s taken some very good pictures in it’s time (And I mean VERY good pictures…wink wink). Unfortunately, it likes to eat batteries like an alcoholic drinks liquor. I could of bought a new camera with all the money I spent buying it batteries. I think it’s got to do something with when I dropped the darn thing. Now it’s pissed off at me and does nothing but eat batteries. Needless to say, a new digital camera is on the list of things to buy….in the near future.

The only thing that I absolutely HAD to take a picture of was this sign. I have this thing for old signage. There’s nothing like an authentic sign to remind us of yesteryear. And the fact that I never saw the word “Broasted”. Maybe it’s the Midwest in me, but chicken was never broasted. I though to myself, this HAS to be a made up word. But to my surprise it IS actually a word…and in the dictionary, even.

Unfortunately, the place was shut down….and for a number of years it looked like. So, I was not able to try their infamous Broasted Chicken. Damn. Maybe it was lack of business, the bird flu, or even, the elusive Lost Dutchman. Who knows. But, you have to admit…they had an awesome sign.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM , Blogger Adam said...

    Heh, Tortilla Flat. I remember that place. You were on the Apache Trail I take it? Is that road still a one lane dirt road with sheer drop offs into the canyon below. Thats how I remember it. Tortilla Flat will forever be the place in my mind where you can get condoms with your name on them from the general store.

     
  • At 8:50 AM , Blogger Mimi said...

    My mom loves broaseted chicken. It's all over the place here in central Illinois. It's deep fried but not greasy, my mom says it's pressurized so it stays moist. It's not bad. I love the sign.

     
  • At 6:29 PM , Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

    Broasted Turkey is really,really good....specially when done in beer....great pic btw

     
  • At 5:05 PM , Blogger Krupo said...

    How odd - I also have a Cybershot. Different model, no doubt. A PSC-41 - had some aggravation with it when the batteries died every day; they were rechargeables and I had taken a lifetime worth of pix with them in one year.

    Problems were completely solved with new re-chargeables - don't use disposables, they cost way too much!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home