True Stories....

My Life, On & Offline

Friday, January 20, 2006

The Year of Yes.


The Year of Yes.
Originally uploaded by EdnPHX.
Can you imagine saying “yes” to everyone who ever asked you out on a date for one year? (Honestly, yes, because no one ever directly asks me out on a date…not that I have to worry about it now…) But, seriously….what a crazy thought, huh? Well, that’s exactly what Maria Dahvana Headley did in her new memoir. I was getting ready to go to work this morning watching my Today Show family Katie, Matt, Al, and Ann when they did a segment on a new book called “A Year of Yes”. When I heard the premise, I HAD to watch the segment. Katie, being her plucky self, asked a ton of obvious questions. “Why did you do it?” “What was your craziest date?” “Did you wear clean underwear?” But the real fun was listening to all the dates Maria went on. Everything from a famous rock star to a (literally) bum on the street. I was absolutely enthralled with her adventures. Unfortunately, they ruined the segment by having the CEO of match.com commenting on how wonderful her experiences were. (For someone running a dating site, she totally needs a stylist, as she looked like a soccer mom….and do you want dating advice from a soccer mom? Not so much.)

So after the segment I immediately logged onto amazon.com to get the skinny on the book. After reading the reviews, I had to get the book. Click. Sold. I’m now patiently awaiting the book and to read the adventures Maria had. Here’s an excerpt from the Editorial Review:

“It sounds disastrous, even scary, though she chose to exclude the drunk, the drugged, the violent, and cheating husbands. The first date was the Puerto Rican handyman who came to fix the toilet with his daughter in tow, the second a 40-year-old who spoke only Polish. One took her to a strip joint, one wanted his penis bitten, one was a woman and one asked her to marry him on the first date. One of the nicest turned out to be the 70-year-old Latino who made obscene sucking noises and claimed to have 11 children. The one Headley got a crush on turned out to be "mostly gay." And then what happened? Believe it or not—true love.”

How fun is THAT!!?? Anyway, should be a fun casual read. Now for a couple updates. First, thanks everyone for the email and comments on the Podcast….it was a great time and I hope to have another one out soon. I’ve already mentally picked out the next guest…which hopefully will agree to be recorded….keep your fingers crossed, as they are some funny peeps!

The Bank One trial is coming to a close. We’re in the process of settling. My counterclaim got their attention. I could go ahead and pursue the counterclaim, but honestly, it’s not worth the stress and headache. I win some, they win some, I loose some they loose some. It’s worth the nominal price to get it settled, and I at least don’t have to pay anywhere near the original $3900. Augh…I know what you are all thinking. But, I’m so over it. In protest, I suggest you close all your accounts with J.P. Morgan Chase or Chase Bank. They suck.

On the love front, things with Tim are going well. He’s coming out next weekend and I couldn’t be more excited. I’m trying to figure out a clever way to greet him at the airport. He’s also put in for a transfer to Phoenix. (What??? What’s that you say?) Yes, he’s decided to move on out here. And I feel great about it. We’ve talked it through and we both want to pursue it. What have I got to loose? It feels right. In February it will be 2 months. And that’s about the time he’ll be moving to PHX. I’m really excited and for once, someone makes me feel great through and through. More to come…..

5 Comments:

  • At 4:57 PM , Blogger potusol said...

    What a great premise for a book. I don't know if it's something I would want to put into practice though. : )

     
  • At 8:44 PM , Blogger Adam said...

    I can't cancel Chase they keep buying up all my other banks.

    I'm excited that your man is moving out to Phx to be with you.

     
  • At 11:17 PM , Blogger VeryApeAZ said...

    I WAS going to make a lesbian joke but decided against it since you're so damned happy. Right on! I hope it works out well for you both.

    As for the airport... how about shorts, no shirt and a big bow tied around you?

     
  • At 5:18 AM , Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

    My first credit card I got when I was like 16 was from Chase Manhattan with a credit line of $500.....out of all credit cards....it's the one which took me the longest to pay off....and it had the smallest line of credit!!!! Don't know if you'll be seeing Tim again before Valentines....but you could play off that theme....

     
  • At 5:20 AM , Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

    ooopps looks like he's moving there in February....scratch that idea LOL

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home