True Stories....

My Life, On & Offline

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Long Journey Home


The Long Journey Home
Originally uploaded by EdnPHX.
It’s amazing how as time passes things have a tendency to change. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s not so good. It’s been a really crazy year. If I ever had to ask myself if I thought I would be where I am right now a year ago, I would have thought I was crazy. I’ve survived a dramatic break up, now almost a year past. I survived the horrible side of corporate America, settling the Bank One lawsuit. I survived the dating scene in a very plastic world. I traveled all throughout the western United States meeting some fantastic individuals. I’ve strengthened many great friendships that helped me through so much. I became “me” again, pulled myself back up to who I was and really deepened my sense of self. It was a rough year, but one that has taught me a lot.

And like a clump of coal that is under immense stress, pressure and time, I’ve gotten a diamond. I’ve earned my grey hair. (Although I’ll never dye it.) On a chance, and unexpected, I came across a real diamond, a real person, who I believe is right for me. And just like a diamond, you get infatuated with the sparkle or shine, the sheer beauty of it. But after you look past all of the infatuation, the brightness and the beauty, you realize that it’s something solid, something lasting, and something more than a pretty rock. That’s where I’m at.

Tim and I had a wonderful past 5 days. Sunday we took a drive up to Sedona and took in the beautiful landscape. The sky was clear and you could see for miles across the valley and the sun accented the red rock, as it almost always does in Sedona. We climbed up Bell Rock and looked across the wide open space; and that’s where that one “L” word you say came out. The word that should never be said unless you mean it. The word that many people fear, that many people avoid. The word that provokes such an emotion that you can’t contain it….your heart pounds, you sweat, you try to contain it, but it just happens. And once it’s said, you get goose bumps, your hear races, you feel relieved that you’ve finally said it. In amazement, the world didn’t crumble in on itself, and you can’t believe you said it, but you did….and it feels right. No, it’s not a mistake, in fact, it just the opposite. The response to that “L” word was just as intense and equal. It’s funny how amazing and intense one can feel when they are in Love. (And you thought I was going to say Lesbian…didn’t you?)

Anyway, I fly out to Cleveland tomorrow to drive back to Phoenix on Friday morning with Tim. The “Long Journey Home” as I like to think of it. I’ve never taken a cross country trip before. So, I’m excited on one hand, but not looking forward to spending 30 hours in a car. I’m bringing my digital camera to take some pictures of American oddities that we come across on the journey. You know, like America’s “biggest ball of string” and stuff. Our trip takes us through Columbus, Dayton, OH, Indianapolis, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff and then Phoenix. I’m sure there will be lots to see and document on the way home. I’m looking forward to some good conversation, music and scenery on the way. (I have the song Wide Open Spaces by the Dixie Chicks playing in my head as I envision driving across the Great Plains.) More to come….

7 Comments:

  • At 2:51 PM , Blogger potusol said...

    There is NOTHING like a cross country drive for spending time with someone. Make it a big adventure and have a good time. And whatever you do, try and plan it so you're not stuck in Oklahoma City for too long. The last time I drove to Chicago I went through there and I'm STILL having nightmares. : )

     
  • At 7:13 PM , Blogger VeryApeAZ said...

    I thought you were talking about that show on Showtime.

    Congrats!

    I drove out here from Baltimore with my dad in 1996. There is nothing worse than the area that runs from Oklahoma through Texas and then New Mexico. It's barren and boring.

    You'll have PLENTY of time to talk. :-)

     
  • At 1:46 PM , Blogger Adam said...

    Yay!!!

    Ok. City. Argh. You'll be so close to Dallas. Shame I'm not on your way. Would have love to have met the two of you. Im so happy for you!

     
  • At 6:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tim, Wide Open Spaces is such a wonderful tune :) I certainly cannot wait for that pics .. a road trip is one of the things I aspire to do someday..

    Anyway, about this L word.. no, lesbian, crossed my mind never ;) ive always found it the hardest thing to say.. never have i said it to someone to their face. maybe, im a coward. But wow, you and tim... i totally admire that.

    Im glad you are coming home, Tim..
    It's one of the hardest roads to find..

    Hugs
    Elle xo

     
  • At 12:59 PM , Blogger Will said...

    Awesome! Keep us posted!

     
  • At 1:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ed!! Enjoy Valentine's day with the lovely Tim..

    Hugs
    Elle x

     
  • At 8:37 AM , Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

    Congratulations!!!! I've missed so much since I've been away from the online world....but am so happy to hear how great things are going for you!!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home