True Stories....

My Life, On & Offline

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

MSP, The Truth & a Butch Xterra


Al's next best seller.
Originally uploaded by EdnPHX.
I’ve gotten to the airport way early…3 hours in fact. So now, I’m waiting for my plane to Phoenix. America West only has one gate here in MSP, but that should change soon since US Airways has 3, I believe. I actually got to see one of the newly painted planes here at the airport, a very nice, but yet boring paint job. This merger thing still has me nervous, considering America West was making money and US Air was in bankruptcy…the second time in 2 years. Only time will tell. If worse comes to worse, I’ll turn to United or Southwest. Although Southwest has no first class or elite program. Did I mention I got upgraded? DRINKS ARE ON ME! (in first class).

I had a nice time in Minneapolis. The meeting here was extremely productive and I feel like I accomplished a lot work wise. We’re putting together a common orientation program or “onboarding” program for over 35,000 people across the country. It’s a new initiative to try to get people more connected with the company and improve the overall “great place to work” kinda thing. There are 7 of us on the project team…so we have our work cut out for us. It’s great exposure for me, and hey, gets me to Minneapolis every so often. Had some fun on Monday night, and Tuesday night I crashed and surfed the net. There’s definitely some ‘interesting ones to see’ here. If I had more time, I would love to explore this town a little more. I had the perfect car to do it in too. I rented a Nissan Xterra to tool around town in, Unfortunately, I was pretty much at the hotel the whole time. I have to admit; I looked damn good in that SUV. I had the whole look down when I picked it up: Worn Jeans, North Face Parka, Oakley sunglasses, short hair…..damn I should have been in the commercial.

So on my way back to the Airport, I had to run to the Mall of America (don’t cha know) to pick up Al Franken’s newest book “The Truth, With Jokes”. I was so excited about this book, as I read a really good review in the USA Today . I read his other book “Lies and The Lying Liars That Tell Them”. It was a freakin’ hilarious book, that was extremely well written and, quite frankly, one of my favorite reads. If you despise the radical right as much as I do, you should read both. Al’s comments are so right on. He’s a straight shooter and uses an extreme amount of common sense and humor. This is a comment from Al about his book:

“I present THE TRUTH not just to shock you, not just to make you laugh and cry alternatingly, or maybe even at the same time, not just to set the record straight – but to rouse you, to prepare you for battles ahead. The only vaccine powerful enough to inoculate you from the lies is the truth. This book is both sword and shield. With jokes.”

I’m so excited to start reading this book on the way home. I read his other book in 2 days. I expect the same with this one. I’ll keep you posted on what I think of the book when I finish.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You beat me to that book...we'll have to compare notes....and I'll have a gin and tonic on your tab, please, LOL....glad things went well in the twin cities....shoulda taken a pic of yourself in your xterra get up...

     
  • At 12:03 AM , Blogger Chox said...

    Tell me a ghost story. :-)

     
  • At 12:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Bought the book today and can't wait to dive into it....BTW I'm pretty sure he's gonna run for Senator in Minnesota..(he won't confirm it...but he ain't denying it, either)..and I hope he has long-term plans for presidency....

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home