True Stories....

My Life, On & Offline

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Kickin’ it in El Paso


Cervezas in Juarez, Mexico
Originally uploaded by EdnPHX.
Muy Bulto! I had a great time this past weekend with a great group of friends. You ever take one of those trips where you just genuinely had a great time and things just went so well that you’ll never forget it? Well I had one of those trips. My travel companions Bill and Rick are incredible to go on trips with….you always have a fun time and the conversations are hilarious. Add my friend Josh in the mix and you’ve got a recipe for a crazy fun time. I have to admit; I didn’t think I would really care for El Paso considering my idea of Texas prior was Houston and Ft. Worth. But, this trip really was a great time. Josh who we visited was an absolute fantastic host and really gave us a great tour of the city of El Paso and the Mexican border town of Juarez.

The highlight of the trip for me was all of us walking over the Mexican/US border to the town of Juarez, Mexico. I had no idea how big Juarez was…we’re talking millions of people living in Juarez, which I believe is the largest border town on the US and Mexico border. We had a great time soaking in the culture and shopping the many deals to be found. We ended our day trip with a couple of cervezas, which was cheaper than dirt. Beer never tasted so good. I even learned a couple phrases in Spanish from my travel buddies…..I started the post with a slang phrase…..know what it means? (I’ll give you a hint…something I look for in a guy…) Both evenings we ended up at Briar Patch and San Antonio Mining Company two gay bars in town. Definitely had a number of friendly hot guys including our favorite Raphael, who had stunning eyes and a body to die for. If only his boyfriend wasn’t there….sigh. Of course there would be one hell of a catfight between all of us on this hottie if he wasn’t. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

We ended our trips with brunch in La Mesilla, New Mexico, which is right outside Las Cruces, NM. We had a great brunch at a restaurant called the Golden Eagle, which sounds like a leather bar, but is actually a historical landmark in conjunction with the Gadsden Purchase. The small town had a quaint town square with some touristy shopping places surrounding it. I would say the town should be known for the incredibly hot wait staff at the Golden Eagle…definitely gives new meaning to a “hot meal”. The flight back to Phoenix was uneventful, but nice as we all got upgraded to 1st Class and topped the trip off with a cocktail. Overall, a fun time and I look forward to future adventures with Bill, Rick and Josh……Puerto Vallarta anyone?

8 Comments:

  • At 12:27 AM , Blogger potusol said...

    El Paso is one of those towns that can be really fun with the right group of people and it sounds like you had the right group. Plus there aren't many places where you can buy cowboy boots, fireworks and tequila in the same store.

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Blogger Adam said...

    I've only ever driven through El Paso and I commonly refer to it as the armpit of Texas. There are other reasons for that but seeing as you had such a nice time I might actually give some thought to exploring it one day.

    I think when you visit or live anwhere its 10% the surroundings and 90% the company you keep.

     
  • At 9:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Glad you had fun! You are a very intense shopper by the way, yelled at you twice at PV Mall today, totally ignored me.... boohoo.
    A few of us are going to PV in Feb by the way.. if you want details let me know..

     
  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger Ed said...

    Gosh, I feel totally bad I didn't hear or see you in the Mall.....I was having a shitty day and was on a mission at the Gap. I apologize....my bad. Ask anyone who knows me, I am deaf. And PV in Feb is exactly what I was thinking!!!! Hotel Mercurio or Blue Chair....????

     
  • At 8:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dont feel bad.. I could tell you were hunting, you had that look of determination that people get at christmas time when they dont want to be in the mall.
    Sent you the info for PV.

     
  • At 9:10 AM , Blogger VeryApeAZ said...

    Never been there, but it's a great country song:
    Out in the west texas town of el paso i fell in love with a mexican girl....

     
  • At 5:23 AM , Blogger Homer said...

    Hi Bill and Rick!

     
  • At 12:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    nice, cozy place you got here :)..

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home