True Stories....

My Life, On & Offline

Friday, July 07, 2006

Things that don’t die.


Gotta love my Saguaro.
Originally uploaded by EdnPHX.
It’s amazing how things tend to not go as planned. Case in point: plants. The past couple weeks I have been busy planting in the front and back gardens. I had this grand idea that I would have all of these really cool plants, lots of color and things that would last throughout the year. I ventured to Home Depot and Lowes to find such flora that would survive the absolutely brutal desert climate. I dragged Tim with me to have a second set of eyes (and well, he lives here too…so he needs to be involved in the process, of course).

I read every damn label, instructions, tag, and even asked the “oh-so-informative” garden associate (that was way sarcastic). I bought plants that would flourish in the direct sun, heat and dry climate here in AZ. I watered, watered, and watered again (but not too much). And, of course, the beautiful flowers died. The only things that survived were the cacti and succulents that I planted along side the flowers. So, now I am just going to throw my hands up and plant more cacti and be done with it. The good part is that I am very happy with the cacti and succulents because they last and some of them do bloom now and then. Quite frankly, it’s nice to plant things that don’t die…..and in the long run, I’m sure I’ll be happier.

Which got me thinking. Plants are a lot like relationships. Just replace the flowers with all your ex-relationships, and substitute the cactus with the one you really do love. Sure things get thorny now and then, but that cactus can weather a hell of a lot and still survive. And if your lucky, it blooms with some really awesome flowers that rival any other plants.

So here I am, watering my plants and having a Zen moment. (These moments tend to hit me at the weirdest times….watering plants, on the toilet, driving on the freeway, watching Star Trek….you know what I mean…). That’s when I smiled and saw Tim….he’s one hell of a Saguaro. Oh and by the way this is him: TIM.

*happy sigh*

A Couple things before I go for the weekend…I am absolutely obsessed with the new album by Connie Bailey Rae. It’s a wonderful CD that is perfect for a lazy Sunday Morning reading the paper in the sun. (Thanks to Lady Miss Elle for putting the song “Put Your Records On” on her fab blog….) I think this is my favorite new music of the year so far.

Also, I tried a new look for the blog….something different, and a little brighter. More fun to come….

10 Comments:

  • At 11:08 AM , Blogger potusol said...

    Yeah, cactus is definitely the way to go right now. The other stuff needs to be WAY more established and planted earlier in the year to survive the summer. And that song is awesome, I love the acoustic version the best. My iPod wakes me up with "Trouble Sleeping" sometimes. : )

     
  • At 11:11 AM , Blogger Actions and Consequences said...

    The prick feels good too!

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Blogger VeryApeAZ said...

    You have no idea how frustrating it is. I've been battling my back yard for two years now. I give up. From her on out, it's all cactus all the time.

     
  • At 12:23 PM , Blogger Will said...

    Sorry to hear about the plants...maybe a rock garden?

    Incidentally, Tim's cute! Where can I get one of those?

     
  • At 1:19 PM , Blogger Adam said...

    Hooray for Tim and cacti!

    A garden is a laboratory so think of each plant as an experiment.

     
  • At 6:45 AM , Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

    I love the new look.....and I'll have to check out this artist...

     
  • At 2:33 PM , Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

    Well ya snuck that pic right in there to where I missed it the first time around cuz I'm such a skim reader....I always come to a blog a few times before I get the whole story.....he sure is handsome!!!!

     
  • At 10:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have a book an desert plants you can borrow, and dont try and plant anything until after summer, instant death....

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow!!! Tim is so good looking and fit!

    Ed, try to grow Dragon Fruit. It's a climbing cactus plant which produces beautiful white flowers and big red fruits which are edible. Search for DRAGON FRUIT with Google.

     
  • At 11:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    For flowers, grow "Lantana camara" and "Kangaaroo paws". They love heat and beatiful, too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home