True Stories....

My Life, On & Offline

Friday, July 21, 2006

Everyone Does IT....

Everyone Does it...

Birds do it, bees do it, even Boston beans do it…..Yes, and you know what I am talking about: sex. So why is it that so many people are uptight about talking about sex? Point in case: This absolutely wonderful commercial in Australia. Nissan took the bold steps to make a fun commercial for its Tiida car starring Kim Cattrall from Sex And The City. If anyone knows me, they know that I totally love and identify with Kim’s character in Sex And The City….god love her. So you can imagine how I found this commercial intensely fun to watch.

Unfortunately this commercial was pulled from many stations in Australia and New Zealand. Don’t even think about it showing here in the conservative, religious-right, Focus on Everyone’s Family, wacked-out United States. It’s funny, after you watch the commercial and really digest it, it’s really not that bad. Yes, it’s suggestive, but it’s not out of line…no more than bikini clad blondes opening up a bottle of beer, or Paris Hilton with a Carl’s Jr. Hamburger. So why is it that people are so uptight about sex?

Here’s my theory. I propose that these people are just not getting any, and because of it are too sexually frustrated to watch anything with a hint of sex. You know those people…the ones hiding behind that Bible, or are so uncomfortable about themselves that they blame other people for their shortcomings. We’re all human and we all have an instinctual need for sex….so why deny it? (As long as it’s done in a non-destructive way.) Our culture discourages sex. Discouraging something we all do. Just like masturbation. Which then leads to discouraging self-expression, free speech, and the pursuit of happiness. Not very American is it?

Who are these people that actually call up the television stations and complain? If I were the switchboard operator here’s what I would say:

Ed: “Thank you for calling Channel 3, how can I help you?”
Caller: “Yes, I’d like to complain on the Nissan ad.”
Ed: “What seems to be the problem?”
Caller: “It’s offending, and sexually explicit!”
Ed: “What exactly is it that you find offending?”
Caller: “Um well…she’s suggesting she’s aroused by driving the car.”
Ed: “Ok…so can you give me more detail?”
Caller: “Well…she’s sexually enjoying the ride…if you know what I mean.”
Ed: “Actually I don’t, could you be more descriptive?”
Caller: “Excuse me? It’s obvious she’s sexually aroused by the car!”
Ed: “Are you sexually aroused by this car?”
Caller: “What? No!”
Ed: “Do cars sexually arouse you? Do you find them seductive?”
Caller: “Um No!”
Ed: “What kind of car do you drive?”
Caller: “Excuse me? What does that have to do with this complaint?”
Ed: “Ma’am I’m just trying to get as much information as possible.”
Caller: “A Ford Taurus. I don’t see why you need to know that.”
Ed: “Actually miss, you drive a boring car, so I assume you haven’t been laid in awhile, there fore you must find this commercial offensive.”
Caller: “What!!??.”
Ed: “Yea…..so I suggest you just get over it, trade your Taurus in for a convertible, and try masturbation. It works wonders.”
Caller: “Excuse me!!?”
Ed: “Um yea…..so just get over it. Bub-bye.”


God, I wish I could do that.

So, after you watch the commercial again (which I know you’ll do), think about how offending it is. Is it that bad? Or, how about we show commercials that show real people crashing in Volkswagens (scare tactic), or show the expanding cotton in a tampon (just downright gross), or how about even those political slur ads with the upcoming elections in November (no ethics)? Yes, there are a lot of “offending” things in the world. But an ad like this is no where near as offending as the things the actually do get through.

Something to think about….

PS: Here's the even longer version of the commercial. FABULOUS.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM , Blogger Adam said...

    Its a good commercial. Its a harmless commercial. Australia is becoming USA-Lite, le sigh.

    They get upset because it reveals their own pervsions and they don't have self control.

     
  • At 12:59 PM , Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

    When I worked at Starbucks.....I learned that any customer who called to complain would automatically receive gift certificates.....in the mail....for free drinks.....and some people would call over and over....cuz they knew this....maybe Nissan should send these complaining men and woman ....a dildo or vibrator....I'm just saying!

     
  • At 2:14 PM , Blogger VeryApeAZ said...

    The one good thing out of America becoming so repressive is no more douche ads! "Mom, I just don't have that fresh feeling anymore." Who can forget the Summer's Eve commercials? I was 6 asking my sisters what that means and them laughing and telling me to ask my dad. Actually, it IS kinda funny.

     
  • At 2:26 PM , Blogger Will said...

    Wow, that is a great commercial! Uptight indeed...

     
  • At 11:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I LOVE YOU ED (and Tim too) and i friggin loved the commerical...thanks for sending it....I need this car and some herbal essence and I will be totally content being single LOL.....WE NEED TO DO DINNER!!!!

     
  • At 1:24 AM , Blogger AZJay said...

    It's not so suggestive. I'm surprised NZ and Aus pulled it. Hell, that Herbal Essence commercial where she has a massive orgasm shampooing her hair is more "suggestive" than that. This country is so uptight!

     
  • At 12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I started at Bab's Bitchin' blog, got redirected at the_gay_dude, saw "Phoenix" and your picture on his blog roll, and ended up reading your blog. I noticed your hit counter and it said I was from Sun City! Correction! I'm not from Sun City, I'm old, but not that old! Just wanted to make that correction and to let you know what a lovely house you have.

    Have a great day!
    AZCG

     
  • At 11:25 PM , Blogger Krupo said...

    Bit of debate over which one is the banned one on Youtube.

    This one is probably much better.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home